s we bid farewell to 2023 and welcome 2024, it’s a great time to set intentions for a healthier, happier year ahead. At Five Dock Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Centre, we’re committed to helping you achieve your health goals. As such, here are 10 physio tips to help you enjoy a wonderful and pain-free 2024.
1. Regular Stretching: Incorporate stretching into your daily routine. Morning stretches can improve flexibility and reduce muscle stiffness.
2. Ergonomic Workspaces: If you work at a desk, ensure your workspace is ergonomically set up to support good posture and reduce strain. Adjust the height of your screen or chair so that you are in a neutral position. If you’re using a laptop, use a stand so that you’re not stuck looking down for hours.
3. Active Breaks: Take short, active breaks throughout your day. A brief walk or some light exercises can combat the effects of prolonged sitting.
4. Balanced Exercise Regimen: Include a mix of cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility exercises in your weekly routine to maintain overall physical health.
5. Mindful Movement: Be conscious of how you move during daily activities. Use proper techniques to lift, bend, and reach to prevent injuries. This applies to posture and how long you are stuck sitting too.
6. Hydration and Nutrition:Prioritise staying hydrated and eating a balanced diet. Proper nutrition supports muscle health and recovery.
7. Incorporate Core Stability: Include core stability exercises throughout your week. A strong core is essential for good spinal health and also most sports helping to reduce the risk of pain and injury. This may include simple workouts at home or something more formal like Clinical Pilates using the reformer.
8. Postural Awareness: Regularly check in on your posture, whether sitting, standing, or walking. Good posture reduces the risk of chronic pain.
9. Pre-season Pre-screening:If you are going to participate in a new activity or play sport this year perhaps consider a Musculoskeletal Pre-Screening. These assessments can identify potential risk areas and guide targeted exercises to strengthen them.
10. Seek Professional Advice: If you experience any niggles, pain or discomfort, consult with our team of physiotherapists. Early intervention can prevent more serious issues.
Here’s to a year filled with health, happiness, and mobility. Let’s make 2024 a fantastic year for our physical well-being!